“Effective NPD Process Deployment”|
The client is designing and manufacturing automotive wheels supplying to all Major Indian and foreign OEM .The NPD Team for different division had greater difficulties in maintaining the system, documentation and developing the Wheels. Had issues during External Audit (Both Customer and certification body)
Sector – Automotive
EBS Assessment Process:
Done a detailed Diagnostic Assessment of NPD system followed by the organization as per EBS unique methodology.
The initial assessment identified following area of improvement:-
Project Approach & Deployment Solution from EBS:
- The NPD development process established by the organization not updated and not tailored to meet the business requirements of the organization.
- Defined process was more of department oriented instead of process than process approach covering all the elements of NPD from customer need identification to ramp up of the production.
- Design Review was not conducted along with CFT and effective APQP status review was missing.
- All the core tools were not practices effectively in the shop floor.
- Welding and surface treatment process FMEA was not covering all the product parameters as well as all the process parameters causing variation in the process.
- Production Train run are not conducted effectively , leading to various manufacturing issues once the product is regualizarized.
- For repetitive problems/ issues cause level data capturing mechanism was not in place.
- Process capability studies for critical and important characteristics monitoring was not effective.
- Gage R&R were conducted for some of the measurement system.
EBS strongly believes in starting with Process Approach for resolving any business issues.
- 3 Different categories established under NPD Development based on the t activities and time required for developing the new wheels ( New Concept , major change in existing product and minor changes in the existing product ).
- New product development process is re defined covering all the activities from customer need till ramp up.
- For each category activities were customized like reviewing and reusing the data from surrogated wheel and to perform.
- Customized Training provided to Cross function Team on each core tools with intent of core tools, importance of core tools and best in class method for establishing and documenting the core tools .
- Critical functions were identified using DFMEA and the major warranty issues are captured while establishing DFMEA.
- Significant and critical functions are linked to characteristics and the same is identified in the drawing.
- All the Process variation , incoming source of variation and dominance are captured while establishing the Process FMEA.
- Measurement system Family identified and statistical studies to be conducted for each measurement system established and started conducting various studies as per the plan.
- Process capability studies are conducted again for all the significant characteristics and frequency for ongoing capability studies defined Identified.
- All the core tools are integrated and the shop floor people are made aware of importance of characteristics and its effect on business and customer.
- Identified all the critical product and process characteristics in welding and surface treatment Process for effective monitoring.
- Implemented the new process for all the products as defined.
- Toll gate review mechanism implemented ( for effective communication with CFT and for status review ).
- Production Train Run (PTR) are conducted in presence of CFT and details are recorded , action plan are developed for any variation/issues/gaps identified during PTR.
- Product and Process characteristics in welding and surface treatment process were started monitoring effectively using control charts.
- Effective control are implemented as identified in the recommended action in the process and Design FMEA.
- Design Review linked to DFMEA and conducted effectively before freezing the design specification for the product.
- DFMEA, PFMEA. SPC, MSA, are effectively integrated.
- Weekly review by Operation head and Fortnightly review by Business Unit Head introduced to ensure deployment of core tools with the integration in the shop floor.
- Induction Training module prepared and all the new employees were trained on important aspects of Core tools and integration of core tools before putting them on the job.
- Layered process audit is introduced for some of the critical process.
- Product submission on time as agreed with the customer
- Shop floor PPM reduced from 80000 PPM to 4000 PPM
- New system appreciated by External parties ( both Customer and certification body Auditors)